Thyme Essential Oil
Thyme has been used for centuries in cooking, medicine and aromatherapy. Ancient Egyptians used it in their embalming practices, Greeks used it as incense and for their baths, and Romans used it as a cleanser and food flavor. Centuries later we continue to find similar uses for this herbaceous plant.
Practical Benefits and Uses
- Antimicrobial- In a glass spray bottle combine 1/2 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup distilled water and 20 drops of thyme oil. Allow to sit on surfaces 15 minutes before wiping away
- Arthritis- Add 10 drops of thyme oil to 1 Tbsp. of carrier oil. Massage into joint areas to potentially slow progression.
- Cough- Add 10 drops to a cold air humidifier. Allow to run to clean the air and relieve the cough.
- Eczema- Combine 5 drops thyme oil and 1 Tbsp coconut oil. Massage over affected areas.
- Hair loss- Combine 1 oz of jojoba carrier oil with 15 drops thyme. Massage into the scalp four times per week.
- Insect repellant- In a small dark spray bottle, combine 12 drops thyme oil, 1 tsp carrier oil, and 4 oz distilled water. Shake well and mist over body.
- All purpose cleaner- In a glass spray bottle combine 1/2 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup distilled water and 20 drops of thyme oil.
Can Be Used for
- Aromatherapy diffuser- Add 10 drops to a diffuser. Add complimentary oils if desired.
- In a bath- 5 drops essential oil, 1 Tbsp carrier oil, 4 oz epsom salts. Combine first, then add to running water.
- In massage oil blend- Always test on an insensitive area for skin sensitivity. Add essential oil to preferred carrier oil.
Blends Well With
- Bergamot, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus, Grapefruit, Lavender, Lemon, Marjoram, Pine, Rosemary, Tea Tree, Wintergreen
- Ingredients: 100% Organic Thyme Oil
- Botanical Name: Thymus zygis
- Origin: Spain
- Extraction Method: Steam distilled
- Plant Part: Leaves
- Aroma: Earthy, herbal, spicy
- Consistency: thin
- Color: Yellow to reddish brown
- If applying an essential oil to your skin, always perform a small patch test to an insensitive part of the body after you have properly diluted it with a preferred carrier oil.
- Do not apply topically to children under 2 years of age.
- Avoid contact with eyes and mucous membranes.
- Do not take internally.
- If pregnant or breastfeeding, consult a physician before use.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Not safe for direct contact with cats and dogs.
- Don't let diffuser run continuously. Always take breaks after 30-60 minutes of running time.